Logo

Logo

Friday 25 March 2011

Pilates Reformer For The Equestrian.

Pilates Reformer For The Equestrian.

Create a deeper seat and an ideal riding partnership with your horse.

•Frustrated that your horse won't respond properly to your commands?
•Having trouble keeping a stable seat?
•Feeling unusually sore and tired after a ride?


Imbalances develop over time, based on physiology, posture and lifestyle. How you move when not riding - other types of exercise, the amount (and quality) of sitting you do at work, etc. - directly affects how you function on a horse. Resulting asymmetries greatly affect movement and alignment, resulting in impediments like:

•Rounded shoulders
•Tightness and curving in the lower back
•Tight hamstrings



Why Pilates?

Pilates exercises increase your body awareness, and improve flexibility, balance, and strength in order to facilitate an optimal riding experience. Pilates helps equestrians:

•Lengthen the spine and strengthen the core, which stabilizes the body in movement
•Sculpt a stronger body with increased flexibility, strength, and balance
•Create a deeper seat and enhance the suppleness of the lower back
•Strengthen the abdominals
•Increase hip independence
•Increase leg and body length



Performance Benefits

With a strong core and increased flexibility, riders can:

•Freely and gently move arms and legs around a stable base
•Help clarify aids and hold jumping form
•Avoid collapsing and bouncing in the saddle
•Better absorb a horse's movement
•Improve posture to help you deepen your seat
•Increase comfort during and after your ride
•Maintain neutral pelvis so you can easily follow your horse's movements
•Develop a trusting riding relationship, where your horse responds to your commands and is confident in your ability



Client Profile
Name: Andrea McCabe
Age: 34
Horse: Country Mayflower
Horse's age: 8 year old
Breed: Thoroughbred X Mare

"I have suffered for many years with the back, hip and leg problems so I joined Pilates really as my final cry for help. I've had chronic back pain for such a long time due to Irish Dancing, running, falling off horses and general life experiences. I absolutely tried everything, I attended regular physio, alternative therapies, everything you could imagine. The physio sessions did give me the instant alignment but as soon as I rode my horse with any level of impact I was back to the world of multiple slipped disks and a battle with my riding. I moved from my passion sport of Eventing (this is all three disciplines- show jumping, X country and dressage) to pure dressage, this was in the hope to lessen the impact and I got hooked! I was so caught up in the art of riding and training of my horse to instantly respond to the lightest of commands and such fluent movements, the more I got into this sport the more I realised the importance of rider fitness, suppleness and core stability. My horse was so sensitive and any rider balance issues from me would reflect in her performance and affect our competitive performance. I searched the internet for any advice and found the North West Pilates & Yoga Centre, this has been my saving grace! I can't tell you enough how this has helped both me and my horse! We are training so much better, my straightness and upper body strength in the saddle is a million times better and it's reflective in my horse's soundness and our competitive performance. I truly believe any person serious about their sport or health should be practicing Pilates, it not only gives you a comfortable life but such a competitive edge in your chosen sport". - Pilates Reformer Client Andrea McCabe

No comments:

Post a Comment